- Before we Start
- Creating your Template
- Adding a Template to Contacts
- Adding a Signature
- Adding an Estimate
- Adding Tables
- Updating HTML
- Do's and Don'ts
Have you ever needed to create a form or a document to send to your contacts? JobNimbus has got you covered. You can use the Document Templates feature to set up your contracts and documents. These contracts and documents can then be added to your Contacts and Jobs and emailed to them. You can also customize how your financial document templates look, such as your Estimates, Invoices, and Credit Memos. To learn about customizing your financial document templates, read in our article here.
Here, we will talk about how to create and use templates. We will also talk about how to get the most out of your templates.
Before we Get Started
If you have any documents in digital form, you can use them to help you build your document templates. You can either make sure you have all of your digital documents in one place, or make digitize your documents by using a word processor such as Google Docs or Microsoft Word.
Creating a Template
You can create Document Templates in your Templates tab in your Settings. To access your Template tab, click on your name in the top right corner and select "Settings" from the drop-down menu. In your Settings select "Templates" from the menu on the left.
In your templates tab, click on the "Add Template" button and select "Create Document Template" from the drop-down menu.
This will bring up the Document Template Builder.
In the template builder, you can:
- Name your template.
- Add a subject line for your Template. This subject line will be added to your document when sending them to Contacts or Jobs.
- Use the text box to enter your document content.
- Create hyperlinks for your document.
- Add images to your document.
- Insert template fields. To learn more about template fields, use the section below.
- Save your template and add it to your Templates section.
Template fields are the powerhouse of your document templates. You can use the template fields to customize information in your documents.
When you click on Template Fields, you will be presented with several options. These options will allow you to pull information from your Contact or Job fields. Some of the groups are detailed below:
- Built-in Section. Options in this group will allow you to add in options such as signatures, estimates, and information such as document or photo attachments or related Contacts.
- Jobs. There are several groups for Jobs. These options will allow you to pull information from your Jobs such as Job details, custom Job fields, information from your workflows, and even information from the primary contact for your job. If you are building a document that will be sent to a Job, but you need to include Contact information, use the Job.Primary Contact options.
- Contacts. There are several groups for Contacts. These options will allow you to pull information from your Contacts such as Contact details, custom Contact fields, and information from your workflows.
- Tasks. Include details from your tasks.
- Template Questions. These groups start with "Form:" and then include the name of your template list.
- Activity. Include JobNimbus activity.
- HTML Element. Include Checkboxes or tables.
You can include several of these fields in your template, and place them wherever you need them.
When you have finished creating your document, click on the "Add Template" button at the bottom of the template builder.
Editing the Template
If you need to edit the template after saving the document, click on the "Edit" button to the right of the document.
You can duplicate existing templates by clicking on the 3 dots to the right of the template title and select Duplicate.
Adding a Template
After you have created a template, you can add that template to a Contact or Job. To add the document to a Contact or Job, navigate to the Contact or Job. Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the information panel and then select "Create Document" from the drop-down menu.
This will pull up the Add Document window.
Use the Design Template drop-down to choose a template from the templates you have created. After you have selected a template and clicked the "Create Document", the document will appear in the Activity tab in the Documents panel above the Activities panel.
If you need to edit your document after creating it, click on the 3 dots to the right of the document and select "Edit" from the drop-down menu.
The other options you have in the drop-down menu are to:
- View the document in either PDF view or in JobNimbus.
- Download the document.
- Add a signature to the document.
- Email the document, which will automatically change the invoice's status to Sent.
- Change the status of the document to Draft, Sent, Signed, or Cancelled.
- Delete the document.
Here are some tips to help you with creating your template.
Adding a Signature
If you want to add an e-signature to your document for your customers to sign after you send it, click on "Add Template Field", navigate to "Built in Sections" and then choose "Signature".
This will add a field into your document that will allow your customers to electronically sign the document.
Adding an Estimate
If you would like to add an estimate to your document, click on "Add Template Field", navigate to "Built in Sections" and then choose "Estimates".
This will add a field to your document that will include your estimate in the document after you add it to your Contact or Job. To add the document to a Contact or Job, navigate to the Contact or Job, which will pull up the Add Document window. After you choose your template, an option will appear to choose an estimate to add to your document.
This will add the estimate to your document. Note: This is the only way you can currently add a signature to your estimate.
If you need to format your content into a table format, you can use the table function. Click on the table button in the top right of the toolbar.
Using the squares provided, you can hover over the squares to choose how many rows and columns you want in the table. You can also choose Table Wizard to further customize your table.
In the Table Wizard you can:
- Update the width of the table. This is the total, fixed width of the table. After you create the table, you can adjust the width of each column, but this total width will not change. We recommend you create a width of no more 700 px. There is a chance that if this table is wider than 700 px, your document will be landscape instead of portrait.
- Update the height of the table. Much like the width, this height is also fixed. You can adjust the height of each row, but the height will not change.
- Specify the number of columns that will appear in your table.
- Specify the number of rows that will appear in your table.
If you have HTML experience, the rest of the options in the Table Wizard are useful to further customize your table. You can customize the cell spacing and padding. You can also customize the border width, style, and color. You can use the other tabs in the wizard to customize the cells in your table much like you can the table.
Updating the HTML
If you ever need to update the HTML of your document, click on the "</>" button in the toolbar panel at the top of the template builder.
This will pull up a window containing the HTML and inline CSS coding of your document. If you have HTML experience, you can use this to further customize the look and content of your document.
Do's and Don'ts
- Use template fields to personalize them for your Contacts and Jobs
- Check the PDF view of your document to make sure you're satisfied with it
- Feel free to copy and paste in language from your existing documents
- Change HTML unnecessarily
- Create a template for single use documents
- Is there a way to add a way for two different people to sign the same document using the built-in signature feature?
- I've updated the HTML for my template field, why isn't my template field not working now?
Can I use Script code in Templates?
Still have a few questions about setting up your document templates? Contact Support at (855) 964-6287 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great idea to help us improve our templates? Recommend features and vote for requests at JobNimbus Feedback!