- Before you Start
- Default Boards
- Accessing your Boards
- Building your Boards
- Using your Boards
- Filtering your Boards
- Do's and Don'ts
The boards feature is a great way to visually manage your contacts, jobs, and work orders. This can be used much like the whiteboard in your office.
Your boards in JobNimbus will help you see where your contacts and jobs are in the job process as well as move them through the workflow. This will help everyone on your team to stay on the same page.
Here, we will talk about how to convert your workflow into a working board, create or edit a set of boards in JobNimbus, and how to use the boards feature to your advantage.
Before we Get Into it
Make sure you have created your workflows. If you haven't created your workflows, yet, read our article to learn how.
After you have created your workflows, break them up into smaller segments. These segments should closely match how your jobs progress and can match how and when your different teams are dealing with the jobs. Name each of these segments, such as Sales, Production, and Billing. These will now be your different boards.
For your convenience, JobNimbus has included industry-standard boards that match your default workflows to help you set up your account quickly. These boards are color-coded for your convenience. The boards are as follows:
- Follow Up
- Office Approval
The boards by color are as follows:
- Blue - Residential
- Green - Residential/Insurance
- Red - General Contract
- Black - Service/Repair
If any of these boards do not work for your company, feel free to delete them.
Like the whiteboard in your office, you can move jobs and contacts from one job stage to the next so everyone in the company can see the progress and what needs to be done next. You can use this to help your team members across all departments stay on the same page.
JobNimbus has a new updated version of the boards feature. To use the new version, click on a board and then click on "Try the new boards experience". This will reload your boards page in the new version.
Accessing your Boards
To get to your boards, click on contacts, or jobs if that's enabled. If you do not already see your boards, click on the "Board" button. This will pull up all of your boards.
Building your Boards
To create a new board, click on the grey box with a "+".
This will bring up the Add Board window where you can start creating your board.
In this window, you can:
- Name your board.
- Select a color for your board.
- Choose to whom it is available. Your options are All Team Members or Just Me. Note: if this board is set to "Just Me", no one else will be able to see it.
- Set your board's type. Note: this will only be available if the work orders feature is enabled.
- Set filters for your board. You can filter the board to show only certain types of contacts, jobs, or workflows, or contacts, jobs, or workflows assigned to specific team members. These particular filters are account wide and will affect the board for every user on your account. To learn more about filtering your board, read this section here. The filters in the Edit Board window include:
- Assigned to
- Sales Rep
- Customize the title of the cards that show up in the board. You can customize the title with text and template fields available in the drop-down. The template fields include specific fields from the contact's file as well as custom fields and specific financial totals.
- Customize the body of the cards that show up in the board. You can customize and add up to three lines in the card body with text and template fields available in the drop-down. The template fields include specific fields from the contact's file as well as custom fields and specific financial totals.
- Add Lists to your board.
- Save your board.
To add your workflow statuses as you would on a whiteboard, click on the "Add List" button.
When creating your lists, you can:
- Name your list. This name can be different from the status that you associate with the list. This name will show up at the top of the list column.
- Choose a status to associate with your list. This status will pull directly from your workflows. Only records with the status or statuses you include in your list will appear in your list column. Note: these statuses are specific to workflow types unless you specify in the Status field, "All Workflows".
- Choose how the contacts, jobs, or work orders in your list are sorted.
- Choose if you would like to show revenue totals at the top of the list. You can choose to show revenue totals from your estimates, invoices, or outstanding invoices.
- Once you are done adding lists to your board, click on the "Save Board" button.
When creating your multiple boards, we recommend you add a "Lost" status to the end of each board. Also, start each board with the same status with which you ended the previous board. For example, if you ended the previous board with "Residential Retail - Job Approved", begin the next with "Residential Retail - Job Approved". This will make sure the contacts that are at the end of one board will show up on the next so you can continue to move them through the workflow smoothly.
If you need to edit the list further, click on the 3 dots in the right of the list's row and select "Edit" from the drop-down menu. This will take you back to the screen to edit the particular list.
To delete the list from the board, click on the 3 dots in the right of the list's row, and select "Delete" from the drop-down menu.
If you need to rearrange the lists in your board, click on the particular list and drag it to its new location in the board. This will update how your columns are organized in your board.
Using your Boards
Inside your board, you can see all your records that are in the statuses you specified for that board. Each record is shown as a card in the listed column. Cards in your board show the information you need right there.
The first four lines are customizable. You can customize the information shown on these lines in the Edit Board window. To learn how to change the information shown on the cards, read our section on Building your Boards.
The bottom row contains data you can easily see at a glance. The icons from left to right are as follows:
- The amount of time the record has spent in that specific status.
- The number of completed tasks versus the total number of tasks assigned to that record.
- The number of attachments that have been created in or uploaded to the record.
- If you have the contact, job, or work order scheduling feature enabled, you can schedule a time for the record and the date will show on the card.
- The sales representative assigned to the record. If you have an image uploaded for the sales rep, the image will show, otherwise you will see the sales rep's initials in a circle the same color chosen for the team member. You will also see a number above the sales rep that corresponds with the total number of team members assigned to the record.
You can drag and drop the cards from one column to another to move your records between statuses in the same workflow in an easy-to-use, visual way. After you move a card to another list, a notification will pop up about the change.
If you need to switch which board you are viewing, click on the down arrow to the right of your board's title. This will pull up a drop-down of every single board you have access to in your JobNimbus account. You can then choose which board you want to switch to.
To return to the page where you can see all of your boards, click on the sideways arrow to the left of your board's title.
If you need to edit the board, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the board and select "Edit" from the drop-down menu. You can also click on the 3 dots to the right of your board's title. This will take you back to the Edit Board window.
If you need to delete the board, click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the board and select "Delete" from the drop-down menu.
Filtering your Boards
You can specify what is shown in your boards through the use of filters. There are two ways you can filter the information in your board: when you are editing the board itself, and when you are in the board.
The first way to filter your boards is through the Edit Board window. Filtering your boards from within the Edit Board window edits all of the information in the board. It is a static filter that can only be changed in the Edit Board window and is applied to the board for every user on your account. This is a great way to filter a board if you are wanting to create a board that only shows contacts or jobs that are in a specific location or are assigned to a specific Sales Rep.
The other way you can filter your boards is from with the board itself. At the top of the boards, you will find a list of options you can use to filter your boards, such as Location, Type, Sales rep, Assignee, and Subcontractor. Here, you can add more than one filter to your board, so you can filter by both the workflow type and the sales rep of the contact or job. These filters are user specific and do not affect other users on your account. These are dynamic filters as it is easy to switch between the different filters to view the exact information that you need to.
Do's and Dont's
- Keep your boards simple
- Sort your board in the most readable way for your team
- Make sure everyone on your team understands the flow
- Use the filters in the board to see the information you need
- Include an “Archived” status in every board just in case you lose a job. This helps to make sure your Mobile App doesn’t get slowed down with excess data.
- Make the last step (excluding your archived status) of one board the first step of your next board.
- Include tasks as lists - just statuses
- Include statuses from different workflows in the same board unless using "All Workflows" or the same boards in every list.
Next, visit our article on Importing Contacts.
- I used to have a specific board, but it is no longer available. Where did it go?
Check to see if someone on your team has access to the board. More often than not, the board's "Available to" settings have accidentally been changed to "Just Me" making it only available to that specific team member.
- I cannot move a contact or job from one list in my board to the next. Why?
Check your board's settings to make sure that the status of the workflow for your record is available where you're trying to move it. Also know that you are unable to move a record from one workflow type to another.
Still have a few questions about setting up your company’s boards? Contact Support at (855) 964-6287 or via email at email@example.com.
Have a great idea to help us improve our boards? Recommend features and vote for requests at JobNimbus Feedback!